Riding your bike to work is great - but you need to be prepared
August 20, 2019, Kitchener, Ontario
Posted by: Robert Deutschmann, Personal Injury Lawyer
Do you commute on your bike? If so then the contents of your bag and desk or locker at work may be a bit different than your driver or public transit friends. I remember working with a student who was a bike commuter long before that was a thing. They would wheel into work every day after their 20 km ride to work early every day, often sweaty or wet. They would retreat to the bathroom and dry off, change into work clothes, and fix their hair and makeup. They would then sit in the break room and eat breakfast all before the workday began. After work they’d appear in their cycling clothes to head home.
If you are a bike commuter or thinking of being one you’ll have to consider the infrastructure you need to make it work well for you. Beyond having a good reliable bike and secure lock you’ll need:
- To keep an eye on the forecast.
- Wear a dedicated commuter clothing set and change into your fresh clothes at work.
- A waterproof backpack with a spring or mesh back is a must. Panniers are even better as you won’t be so sweaty.
- Make sure you have a good bike light and tail flasher light.
- Seriously consider wearing a hi-viz vest or jacket if you ride on the road (rather than on trails).
- Use gloves when the temperatures begin to fall.
In your desk you should keep:
- An extra set of clothes and shoes for work in case you forget to pack some, or they get wet in your bag. Remember to replace them if you use them.
- A spare set of keys for your bike lock.
- A towel and hair/makeup kit for drying yourself off and getting presentable for work.
- A basic bike maintenance kit.
If you rely on biking to work, consider freezing parts of your lunch before you pack them to keep your food cold throughout the hot steamy summer rides. Make sure to pack your rain gear if it is forecast and if the weather is particularly bad don’t be afraid to ask a coworker for a lift home or to take transit. Riding in the pouring rain is not only unpleasant but dangerous.
Biking can be a great way to get ready for your day, and for unwinding afterward. Be sure to allow yourself some time once you get to work to cool off though. Some people look great when they exercise, others look like they’ve been exercising. Figure out which group you are in.
|Posted under Accident Benefit News, Bicycle Accidents
View All Posts
About Deutschmann Law
Deutschmann Law serves South-Western Ontario with offices in Kitchener-Waterloo, Cambridge, Woodstock, Brantford, Stratford and Ayr. The law practice of Robert Deutschmann focuses almost exclusively in personal injury and disability insurance matters. For more information, please visit www.deutschmannlaw.com or call us toll-free at 1-866-414-4878.
It is important that you review your accident benefit file with one of our experienced personal injury / car accident lawyers to ensure that you obtain access to all your benefits which include, but are limited to, things like physiotherapy, income replacement benefits, vocational retraining and home modifications.