OPP Report Half of Snowmobile Deaths Involved Alcohol
February 06, 2020, Kitchener, Ontario
Posted by: Robert Deutschmann, Personal Injury Lawyer
Reports of snowmobile related deaths in Ontario continue this winter. After each incident the OPP investigate and remind riders that excessive speed, driving too fast for conditions, and alcohol consumption are leading causes of accidents.
Alcohol was a factor in nearly half of Ontario snowmobile deaths in the last decade according to a report released by the OPP mid January. Officers hope that releasing the report and talking about the results will help to change behaviors that are leading to deaths.
Between 2009-2019 the OPP investigated 175 snowmobiler deaths. Here are the sad statistics
- 45% of the deaths involved alcohol
- 45% of the deaths involved snowmobilers travelling on frozen lakes or rivers
- Many deaths involved intentional water jumping or skipping over open water
- Collisions with other snowmobiles and natural features was also a leading cause of death
- Not driving to the conditions and excessive speed were two of the top three contributing factors in deaths
- The victims are predominantly males (92%) with 77% of them aged 25-64
- 26% of the deaths were riders aged 45-54
- 43% of deaths occur between 6 pm – midnight
If you are heading out to ride, please ride responsibly. Obey speed limits, ride to the conditions, if you are riding at night ensure your have good visibility, don’t drink and ride. And please, stay off open ice and unsafe ice.
|Posted under Accident Benefit News, Snow Mobiles
View All Posts
About Deutschmann Law
Deutschmann Law serves South-Western Ontario with offices in Kitchener-Waterloo, Cambridge, Woodstock, Brantford, Stratford and Ayr. The law practice of Robert Deutschmann focuses almost exclusively in personal injury and disability insurance matters. For more information, please visit www.deutschmannlaw.com or call us toll-free at 1-866-414-4878.
It is important that you review your accident benefit file with one of our experienced personal injury / car accident lawyers to ensure that you obtain access to all your benefits which include, but are limited to, things like physiotherapy, income replacement benefits, vocational retraining and home modifications.