Protecting Your Ride: Ontario's Most Stolen Cars and Effective Theft Prevention Measures
June 08, 2023, Kitchener, Ontario
Posted by: Robert Deutschmann, Personal Injury Lawyer
Ontario is a beautiful province with bustling cities, picturesque landscapes, and unfortunately, a significant number of car thefts. As an Ontario resident, it's crucial to be aware of the most stolen cars in the region and take proactive measures to safeguard your vehicle. In this blog post, we will discuss the most commonly targeted cars in Ontario and provide practical tips to help you prevent car theft.
Ontario's Most Stolen Cars:
- Lexus RX Series: The Lexus RX series is a favorite. Unfortunately, this popularity also attracts the attention of car thieves. Owners of Lexus vehicles should take extra steps to protect their cars as almost 1/10 are stolen.
- Honda CR-V: The Honda CR-V has long been a favorite among car thieves due to its popularity, reliability, and high demand for parts. Its widespread presence on the roads makes it an attractive target. Owners of Honda Civics should take extra precautions to protect their vehicles.
- Ford F-Series: As the best-selling truck in Canada, the Ford F-Series is another sought-after vehicle for thieves. Its versatility and high resale value make it a prime target. Truck owners should remain vigilant and employ anti-theft measures to deter criminals.
Preventing Car Theft:
Now that we have identified the commonly stolen vehicles in Ontario let's discuss effective measures to prevent car theft:
- Lock your vehicle: This may seem obvious, but many thefts occur because car owners forget to lock their doors. Always double-check that your vehicle is securely locked, even if you're leaving it unattended for a short time. Additionally, consider installing a steering wheel lock or an immobilizer device for added security.
- Park in well-lit areas or in your garage: Thieves prefer to operate in darkness and secluded areas. Whenever possible, park your car in well-lit and populated areas. If you have a garage, use it. Secure parking spaces deter criminals and increase the chances of their activities being noticed.
- Install an anti-theft system: Investing in an alarm system or a tracking device can significantly reduce the risk of car theft. These systems alert you and others if unauthorized entry or movement is detected, increasing the chances of recovery and deterring thieves altogether.
- Be cautious with keys: Avoid leaving keys inside your vehicle or in easily accessible places like the glove compartment. If you have a ‘keyless’ start car protect the fob as thieves use sophisticated programs to steal the code from them in seconds and then have easy access to your car. Get a faraday bog for your purse of pocket and store the fob in the bag whenever you aren’t driving. Keep spare keys in a secure location at home or with a trusted person.
- Use visual deterrents: Visible deterrents such as steering wheel locks, window etching, and visible VIN (Vehicle Identification Number) can discourage thieves from targeting your car. They indicate that your vehicle is well-protected and may prompt criminals to move on to an easier target.
- Stay vigilant: Always be aware of your surroundings, especially in unfamiliar areas or high-risk locations. Report any suspicious activity to the authorities promptly. By being alert, you can help prevent not only your own car from being stolen but also protect others in the community.
Car theft is an unfortunate reality that Ontario residents must face. By understanding which vehicles are commonly targeted and implementing effective theft prevention measures, you can significantly reduce the risk of becoming a victim. Remember to lock your vehicle, park in well-lit areas, install anti-theft systems, and remain vigilant. By taking these proactive steps, you can better protect your ride and contribute to creating a safer environment for everyone on the roads.
|Posted under Accident Benefit News
View All Posts
About Deutschmann Law
Deutschmann Law serves South-Western Ontario with offices in Kitchener-Waterloo, Cambridge, Woodstock, Brantford, Stratford and Ayr. The law practice of Robert Deutschmann focuses almost exclusively in personal injury and disability insurance matters. For more information, please visit www.deutschmannlaw.com or call us at 1-519-742-7774.
It is important that you review your accident benefit file with one of our experienced personal injury / car accident lawyers to ensure that you obtain access to all your benefits which include, but are limited to, things like physiotherapy, income replacement benefits, vocational retraining and home modifications.