School Bus and Crosswalk Safety
September 06, 2022, Kitchener, Ontario
Posted by: Robert Deutschmann, Personal Injury Lawyer
School Bus Safety
According to the Government of Ontario, approximately 834,000 children are transported on school buses every day in Ontario. They are overwhelmingly safe as a mode of transport. However other drivers on the road need to be aware of them and the law.
As the school year is about to begin let’s review safety and school buses and keep our kids safe.
- Drive with caution. Anticipate school buses on the roads from 6 am to 6 pm on school days.
- Put down your phone. Distraction is a leading cause of drivers hitting buses and children.
- Obey the speed limit and be prepared to stop for a school bus at all times.
- NEVER PASS A STOPPED SCHOOL BUS when its lights are flashing. That is illegal and extremely dangerous and irresponsible.
- Leave 20 metres of space when you stop for the bus for children to cross safely.
- STOP and YIELD the whole road for crossing guards controlling pedestrian crossovers, crosswalks and school crossings,
- STOP IN BOTH DIRECTIONS FOR STOPPED BUSES WITH LIGHTS ON even on multilane roads unless there is a centre median.
Teach your children to listen to the crossing guards and school bus drivers, and to check both ways for cars every time they cross the road.
If your child is injured in an accident involving a school bus, you should contact a personal injury lawyer immediately. Don’t face your situation alone. Our experienced personal injury lawyers at Deutschmann Personal Injury and Disability Law can help secure your child’s future.
|Posted under Accident Benefit News, Automobile Accident Benefits, Brain Injury, Car Accidents
View All Posts
About Deutschmann Law
Deutschmann Law serves South-Western Ontario with offices in Kitchener-Waterloo, Cambridge, Woodstock, Brantford, Stratford and Ayr. The law practice of Robert Deutschmann focuses almost exclusively in personal injury and disability insurance matters. For more information, please visit www.deutschmannlaw.com or call us toll-free at 1-866-414-4878.
It is important that you review your accident benefit file with one of our experienced personal injury / car accident lawyers to ensure that you obtain access to all your benefits which include, but are limited to, things like physiotherapy, income replacement benefits, vocational retraining and home modifications.