E-Scooter use is now legal In parts of Waterloo Region – Here’s what you need to know
July 05, 2022, Kitchener, Ontario
Posted by: Robert Deutschmann, Personal Injury Lawyer
The rules changed July 1 and e-scooters can now be used in the Region’s major urban centres – Cambridge, Kitchener, and Waterloo. E-scooters are allowed on certain roads and pathways that are owned by the Region and which is a major change in the law. These changes are happening in conjunction with rideshare programmes and are part of the first and last kilometre strategy.
The barrier for most people keeping them from taking public transit is that the first and last part of their journey is perceived to be too far from the transit stop. Allowing rideshare e-scooters and e-bikes to be used will help transit users reach their desired destinations more quickly and easily. Hopefully this will mean fewer cars on the roads.
Where can you ride e-scooters
- Allowed on Region and City 50 km/h roads that don’t have multi-use paths
- They are NOT ALLOWED on sidewalks or highspeed roadways that don’t have adjacent multi use paths or bike lanes
- They are allowed on multi use trails
What are the rules for them?
- The Region requires all riders to wear helmets
- The rider must be over 16
- E-scooters cannot have pedals, seats, baskets
- E-scooters MUST have two wheels, brakes and a horn or bell
- They must have a white front light and red taillight and reflective materials on the sides
- Riders cannot have cargo
- No passengers are allowed
- When parked they must not block roads, sidewalks, or pathways.
- The riders must obey all rules of the road
Regional bylaw officers and the police will handle offences and are focused on education for riders about the rules that apply.
If you are seriously injured in a collision with an e-scooter, or if you are riding an e-scooter and are injured in a collision with a vehicle you should contact one of our experienced personal injury lawyers today. You may be entitled to accident benefits.
We can help you navigate the legal system and the insurance system to make sure you get the benefits you deserve.
|Posted under Accident Benefit News
View All Posts
About Deutschmann Law
Deutschmann Law serves South-Western Ontario with offices in Kitchener-Waterloo, Cambridge, Woodstock, Brantford, Stratford and Ayr. The law practice of Robert Deutschmann focuses almost exclusively in personal injury and disability insurance matters. For more information, please visit www.deutschmannlaw.com or call us at 1-519-742-7774.
It is important that you review your accident benefit file with one of our experienced personal injury / car accident lawyers to ensure that you obtain access to all your benefits which include, but are limited to, things like physiotherapy, income replacement benefits, vocational retraining and home modifications.